Loading... Twirling, twirling, twirling...

A New Spin on “More Christ”

In: Mish-mash, Mom's Oracles, Red Said

To My Dear Friend Derrick J,

With the aroma of savory foods wafting from my kitchen, infused with the scent of pine-needled, Christmas decorations, I found myself thinking of you this morning. If you were here, we would be having so much fun cooking, sprucing, baking, singing, and dancing together while we make everything pretty. My thoughts were interrupted by Aziza who read aloud a Facebook post of yours declaring your distaste for all things “Christmas”. Since I know how much you love a grand soiree, I am convinced your disdain is for the overwhelming reminder that you are an atheist living in a Judeo-Christian stronghold. Please allow me to dispel a few notions and focus on what we know to be true.

Let’s cast aside the fact that neither can you prove that God does not exist nor can I prove that He does. For to make my points, it is not necessary to consider God or the Christ but rather the man, Jesus, about whom there are countless historical references and who, for all intents and purposes, is “the reason for the season”.

What we know for certain about Jesus, the man, is that he was crucified for the treasonous act of denying the divinity of Caesar- you know the guy who Jesus refused to exact taxes for from his disciples…For that reason alone, he deserves respect. He said “No” exercising his humanity, refusing to bow even to the point of death. But he didn’t just die. He was beaten, scorned, laughed at, spit upon, forced to carry the weapon which would kill him, and still, there is not one account of him retaliating verbally or physically nor attempting to blame anyone, demonstrating fierce manliness and a refusal to be a victim. Bravo, he is at least a god of a man!

Could you or I do that, my sweet friend? I would like to think that my principles are the essence of my being and therefore intrinsically woven in a way that I would cease to exist without them. However, I really do not want to ever be challenged to that degree. You have certainly been confronted by the State and know firsthand the hate and thievery that comprises it. Like him, you were accused unjustly. And that sucks!

So what did this man say that was so horrible to cause the religious leaders and statists to murder him? Well lotsa stuff. But what I find to be universally applicable and certainly a threat to those who would promulgate the need for force are the Two Laws he claimed summed up all the rest: Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength; love your neighbor as yourself. I claim that these laws sufficiently and universally apply to all. For those who believe in God, great, you’ve heard it before. But for you, darling, if there is no God, then that means that You are the most all-knowing, all-powerful being of YOUR life in which case, yes, loving yourself perfectly is your job and then…see law #2. And YOU know why this is such a threat: Love conquers fear and without fear, darkness has no power to control. Love is the answer to all of the interesting questions.

As you stroll about catching a tune from a Christmas carol, remember what you share in common with the man for whom it was written- a fierce and determined love of humanity and an unwillingness to bow to the State as your God. Also, it is not Jesus, the Christ, or even Christians who you are angry with but rather the statists, in collusion with the corporatists, who use the memorial of the event to control the masses- you know, the ones we are trying to free.

I have mad love for you!

Forever Your Flame Dame,

M

By: M7 Tags: , , , , , , , ,
8 thoughts on “A New Spin on “More Christ”

Typical theist intellectual dishonesty. “Let’s cast aside the fact that neither can you prove that God does not exist nor can I prove that He does.” – No, let’s not. Only theists ever want to cite that particular fallacy as though an unsupported claim towards the existence of something carries the same weight of reason as a dismissal of said claim on the basis it is entirely speculative and unsupported. Atheists do not assert, “There is no god”, we assert, “There is no objective reason to accept your assertion that a god exists”, in exactly the same way we also dismiss claims towards invisible pink unicorns and minuscule orbiting teapots.
You strike me as a smart woman, treat yourself to learning the essential basics concerning fallacious reasoning and dishonest argument, so that you can avoid employing them so frequently.

Brilliant writing. I just want to suggest that it is in fact possible to prove the truth about God. Anyone can read the Bible and claim the promises therein. The Lord is happy to prove himself, tangibly and unmistakeably, to anyone who seeks him in spirit and truth. John 14:21 (KJV) “He that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” Jesus Christ is more real than the world we live in. The Bible makes promises that can and should be tested, and God wants us to know him, not just to guess about him. That’s why he gave us his word, and that’s why he gave his life on the Cross. Jeremiah 29:13 “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”

M, what a Radical, clear thinking, heart coherent message of love and caring. You care about your neighbor and you care about the person and the message of Jesus. What but spirit-led life could have connected me to your healing words this blessed Sunday morning?

There is a power working in us that works in all the universe – power we perceive but cannot comprehend; we feel that awesome power and our faith is born – faith that the whole of life is intelligent, infinitely more so than WE, and that Creation is able (even designed) to provide – exceedingly abundantly – beyond our ability to know or ask. Jesus, in the Lords prayer calls us to claim the promise of “on earth as it is in heaven”; to be forgiving and ask forgiveness; to refuse the temptation. What temptation? The temptation that now runs rampant in the world of men (and a very few women) to take up the weapon of force – of “power-over” – which He refused.

As a consequence the world refused Him and throughout history all others have succumbed to the temptation of power-over – civilization refused the path of living in love – that is the “power-with” (see Joanna Macy, “Active Hope”) – and our history is a story of unlimited exploitation to this time of “end-of-days” when humanity and the whole of life on earth with the threat of an “extinction event”. Not by water this time; this time humanity will suffer destruction by fire. This is the path that the world is on; we all see it, but how do we disrupt and change ourselves and the world to evoke a new pattern? I suggest that we must be building a world that is in healing alignment with Creation once again.

You and many others would need to gather, in his name, understanding with new depth of clarity the radical message – of power-with – and then be ready to act disruptively but constructively to be the Kingdom Builders – to evoke and create the Kingdom of God on earth as new CoCreation ruled not by lords and powers but by our Lord, reigning in each heart with love. WE human Spirits in bodies must let our inner truth to shine with a light that restores our sight, walking out of the prison of isolation, breaking the chains of poverty that we forged out of ignorance. Jesus said “forgive them Lord, they know not what they do” – but he promised that the Spirit of truth would show the Way to live lives of freedom and abundance. We cut our dependency and addictions to power-over and learn the greater and unlimited strength in collaboration/cooperation and the true abundance accessible to all when we end our practices of warfare upon people and planet.

Should you wish to look deeply into SolaRoof solutions that I have invented and dedicated to a Creative Commons as a catalyst for action then please look at the documents (for download) at http://www.podworksglobal.com for a presentation about new patterns for living in harmony and in powerful synergy with the whole of life. The POD solution for local Food/Energy/Water abundance is a technical innovation that is focused on these FEW life support essentials. The POD Pioneers (@PodPioneers) create a small space within which the synergy of the 5 kingdoms of life (bacteria, algae, fungi, plants & animals) are enhanced by our CoCreative capacity to imagine and manifest the regenerative, controlled systems that sustain an ideal environment and integrated ecosystem. This POD is built as a “living structure” – infused with life and running on sunshine with the SolaRoof innovative construction as an example of “livingry”: “It is now highly feasible to take care of everybody on Earth at a higher standard of living than any have ever known. It no longer has to be you or me. Selfishness is unnecessary. War is obsolete. It is a mater of converting the high technology from weaponry to livingry” – R. Buckminster Fuller

Two falsities:

1) Jesus was not crucified for refusing to accept the divinity of Caesar. In fact, Pilate refused to be responsible for crucifying Jesus as he could find no fault in him and was therefore not crucified for ignoring the laws of the Roman Empire.

2) Jesus did not advocate the avoidance of taxes. When asked by a Pharisee whether they should pay tax, Jesus stated they should ‘pay to Caesar what is Caesar’s’.

Those are not falsities. Pilate did find no fault in Him, but after he said that he found none, Jews said Crucify Him. We have no king, but Caesar, thereby forcing Pilates hand. But thanks for the opportunity to clarify that for you and anyone else who may be wondering. As for the second, He did love to confound those who thought themselves wise in their own eyes, didn’t He? A Caesar is a divine ruler. Jesus was being ironic.

If Pilate found no fault in Jesus, than that undermines your argument that Jesus was crucified for denying the divinity of Caesar. If that was true, Pilate would have readily condemned Jesus for his insurrection against the Roman Empire. Instead, we find Pilate reluctantly ordering the crucifixion of Jesus as an act to pacify the increasingly agitated crowd of Jews.

Matthew 27:24-25: “When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but rather tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it. Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.”

The crucifixion story is very clear that all responsibility is on the Jews for the death of Jesus and nothing to do with a lack of respect for the ruling power.

Second, Jesus was not being ironic, he was very clear that paying taxes was by no means a violation of Abrahamic Law. Additionally, the topic of whether to pay taxes was particularly relevant as the Jews had previously revolted to the imposition of the poll tax by the Roman Empire in 6 AD and they were looking to Jesus for a justification of continued resistance which they did not find.

Seeking clarification on this point from outside of the Gospels, we also find in Romans 13 that resisting government powers (specifically, those that are not in conflict with serving God first and foremost) is the same as resisting the authority of God. Therefore, Jesus suggesting to the Jews that it was acceptable to not pay taxes would be in direct conflict with other teachings so it can justifiably be determined as false.

First time ever to read your blog post having seen you on twitter. I must say you are a master of word and thought. This is one of the most definitive and clearly stated defenses of Christianity I can recall. I would put it on a par with C.S. Lewis and Francis Schaeffer. BRAVO!

To my inspired friend ~M … “Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.”

― Albert Einstein